- 1 whole chicken or 2 to 3 pounds of bony chicken parts, such as necks, backs, breastbones and wings. Gizzards and Chicken Feet (the feet are full of gelatin & very good for you).
- water to cover
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- one 8-inch strip of kombu (long dark seaweed) (or sea salt)
- several black pepper corns
- 2 bay leaves
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- celery stalks, coarsely chopped with leaves
- 10 slices astragulus root, or a handful of shredded
- handful of calendula blossoms, dried
- 1 bunch parsley
- Place chicken or pieces into a large stainless steel pot with water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley. Let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour. Bring to a boil, and remove scum that rises to the top.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 24 hours. The longer you cook the stock the richer and more flavorful it will be.
- About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add parsley. This brings more minerals to the stock. Broths provide nutrients for connective tissue and are especially available to the body. It is great to have some in the freezer so it can be used whenever you need it.